Update 24/03/18 – guidance for submitting your comments is available on the A Voice for Leith Hill website: http://www.voiceforleithhill.co.uk/2018/03/23/ea-guidance/
Update 06/03/18 – the deadline for comments has been extended to 29th March. The public meeting planned for 1st March was cancelled because of weather conditions. The public meeting will now take place on Thursday 15 March 2018 between 2pm and 7.30pm at Dorking Halls, Reigate Road, Dorking RH4 1SG.
The Environment Agency (EA) have re-opened their consultation on Europa’s application to drill on Leith Hill. This is another chance for us to object, however, the EA have said that they are ‘minded to accept’ the application.
The consultation is “to ensure that their proposed activities do not pose a significant pollution risk to the local groundwater, surface water, air quality or people”. They will accept comments on:
- Relevant environmental regulatory requirements and technical standards.
- Information on local population and sensitive sites.
- Comments on whether the right process is being used for the activity, for example whether the technology is the right one.
- The shape and use of the land around the site in terms of its potential impact, whether that impact is acceptable and what pollution control or abatement may be required.
- The impact of noise and odour from traffic on site.
- Permit conditions by providing information that we have not been made aware of in the application, or by correcting incorrect information in the application (e.g. monitoring and techniques to control pollution).
It’s open until 29th March 2018 and can be accessed here: https://consult.environment-agency.gov.uk/psc/rh6-6hn-europa-oil-and-gas-limited/
Along with the Traffic Management Plan, the Environment Agency permit is one of the final things stopping Europa from drilling here so please comment if you are able.
We will put up guidance or links to guidance here when we’ve had a chance to read through the updated documents.